March 13, 2014
As I mentioned in a previous press release, since my appointment as the bishop of the Diocese of St. Cloud I have been trying to familiarize myself with the diocese and the records maintained by my predecessor bishops. One purpose in reviewing records was to provide the public with the names of clergy who have served in the Diocese of St. Cloud and have likely sexually abused minors. I published a list of these clergy on Jan. 17, 2014.
Since I published that list, I have received notice of four additional clergy who have likely sexually abused minors. These names were provided by religious communities and/or appear on lists released by other dioceses. I want to assure the public that there was nothing in the records maintained by my predecessor bishops or me which contained any alleged abuse by these clergy while serving in ministry in our diocese.
It is my hope that the release of these names will give validation to the survivors of abuse who have already come forward, and I pray it will also empower those who have remained silent to also come forward.
I now add the following names to the list of priests who have served in ministry in the Diocese of St. Cloud:
- Neil Emon, OSC (Canons Regular of the Order of the Holy Cross [Crosiers]): St. Peter Parish, St. Cloud. Currently residing in Phoenix, AZ.
- Gerald Funcheon, OSC: No official diocesan assignment but was hired by Cathedral High School, St. Cloud, as a teacher/ spiritual director. Currently residing in Missouri.
- Justin Weger, OSC: St. Therese Parish, Vineland. Deceased.
- James Moeglein, OSC: Cathedral of St. Mary, St. Cloud. Currently residing in Onamia.
Again I share the following statement that is a part the Sexual Misconduct policy for the Diocese of St. Cloud:
If someone has sexually abused you or exploited you, and you feel that the time is right to come forward, there are professionals you can talk to about your experience. They can assist you in getting the help you need. You do not have to face or name your abuser. You don’t have to give any information you are not comfortable disclosing. It does not matter how long ago the abuse was. Assistance is available to you.
Roxann Storms, MSW, LICSW, FT
320-529-4615 (Confidential Line)
- Jane Blee: St. Cloud 320-251-3430
- Tom Klecker: St. Joseph 320-253-2866
- Jim Otremba: Sauk Rapids 320-253-3450
- Dolores Saurer: Fergus Falls 218-736-3592
- Father Stanley Wieser: Wheaton (Spanish) 320-815-9696
- Jennifer Wirz: Central MN 320-339-0622
Donald J. Kettler
Bishop of Saint Cloud