Reaction mixed to Tsarnaev death sentence in Boston Marathon bombing

Categories: Latest News

May 18, 2015

Courtroom sketch shows accused Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev during closing arguments

A courtroom sketch shows accused Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev during closing arguments April 6 in his trial at the federal courthouse in Boston. The bishops of Massachusetts urged against a death sentence for the bombing defendant, reiterating Catholic teaching that says cases where capital punishment is acceptable are practically nonexistent. (CNS illustration/Jane Flavell Collins via Reuters)

WASHINGTON (CNS) — Reaction was mixed to the May 15 jury sentencing of death for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev for his role in the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing.

Tsarnaev had been convicted April 8 of all 30 counts lodged against him in the bombing, which killed three people and injured hundreds. Of those 30 counts, 17 carried the death penalty, and jurors imposed the death sentence on six of those — all in connection with placing a bomb on Boylston Street along the marathon route.

“Catholic Mobilizing Network prays for the victims of the Boston marathon bombing, their families, and all those whose lives have been touched by violence,” said a May 15 statement by the Catholic Mobilizing Network to End the Use of the Death Penalty.

Read more in The Visitor…