Multimedia Journalist / Communications Assistant
Diocese of Crookston
Summary: The Diocese of Crookston Office of Communications is seeking a Multimedia Journalist for its multiplatform news source: Our Northland Diocese. The position serves as the primary writer, print designer, and manager of online content, archives and records. Candidates must have education in journalism or communications and be able to produce content for print and digital channels, in addition to a solid understanding and practice of the Catholic Faith. This is a full-time position with benefits. The successful candidate will also assist the Director of Communications/Editor with day-to-day operations of the Communications Office.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field required.
Preferred Knowledge/Background: Background in print and digital media preferred. Photography and basic videography skills preferred. Candidates should have competent working knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite CC, especially InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop. Knowledge of website content management systems, such as Joomla preferred. Candidates should have proven competency with the social media platforms of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to write and edit content for publishing, which necessitates a strong proofreading competency.
- Skilled storytelling with understanding of journalistic ethics and libel and copyright issues.
- Creativity for the design of diocesan publications and social media postings.
- Active listening for interviews, working with submitters of materials, and concerns received in the office about publications.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment. This includes effective long-range planning, docility to accommodate breaking news moments, prioritizing tasks, discernment of relevant information, and creating and meeting deadlines in a self-directed way.
- Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office.
Benefits: Single and family health insurance available with HSA and FSA options; Single or family dental options; Vacation, sick, holiday, holy day, bereavement and retreat days; Employer-paid life and long-term disability insurance; Employer-paid retirement and optional 403(b) plan.
Diocese of Crookston: The Diocese of Crookston is a non-profit religious organization that serves 30,000 Catholics in 66 parishes and 8 Catholic schools in the 14 northwest counties of Minnesota. Known as a mission diocese of the Catholic Church, Diocese of Crookston territory is rural in nature; farming, logging and tourism are main industries.
How to Apply / Contact / Deadline: Submit resume including references, cover letter, and any combination of four writing or other media samples to Janelle Gergen at Diocese of Crookston, PO Box 610, Crookston, MN 56716 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled.