Coordinator for Peace and Social Justice
Christ Church Newman Center
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Competitive salary commensurate with experience
Christ Church Newman Center is a parish striving to live out the gospel message in the spirit of
Vatican II. Its mission is to build for the future by being Christ’s challenging word, inspiring spirit, and living service. The position of Coordinator for Peace and Social Justice works in collaboration with the Pastoral Associate and Director of Campus Ministry to facilitate connections with and between the permanent membership and campus faith communities. This person has the role of supporting the mission to the campus communities by advocating for peace and social justice initiatives as an example of a dynamic Catholic parish in order to assist students in their personal faith development.
- Peace and Social Justice
A.) Provides ongoing educational and training opportunities for adult parishioners and families and the campus faith communities about Catholic social justice teaching in collaboration with the parish Peace and Social Justice Committee.
- Develops a speaker’s roster and coordinates timely Peace and Social Justice speakers at Newman for students and parishioners;
- Coordinates experiences for Newman high school, middle school and elementary students to engage in service opportunities enabling them to have greater understanding relating to peace and social justice issues in marginalized communities such as Promise
Neighborhood, Hands Across the World, La Cruz Community Center;
- Manages the Fair Trade Sale at Newman including educational information and presentations about justice issues related to Fair Trade and our economy;
- Helps to coordinate the Church of the Week yearly event at Newman; provides educational presentations, events and updates about homelessness in the St. Cloud area and related social service and social justice issues;
- Raises social justice awareness of university students and parish community on timely and urgent social justice issues on campus or in the community such as racism, homophobia, and xenophobia; creates social justice groups of interested/willing students and parish community members to advocate for and support those who are marginalized and inequitably treated.
B.) Works collaboratively with other social justice groups, individuals and local community wide efforts to advance peace and social justice efforts.
- Establishes contact and meets frequently and regularly with representatives of the
Equity Departments and related departments and student organizations at SCSU and
SCTCC about social justice events, issues and campus service opportunities in which college students as well as permanent members of Newman can engage. Initiates follow up activities and services at Newman.
- Establishes contact and meets regularly with St. Cloud area non-profits providing service for the common good such as the Social Concerns Director for Catholic
Charities, the United Way, Create Community, Isaiah, Unite Cloud, and the Boys and Girls Club, about community social justice events and service opportunities for campus students, adult parishioners and families. Initiates follow up opportunities for students and parishioners at Newman.
- C) Provides a monthly update to the Peace and Justice Committee of events and activities including number of students/parishioners engaged, next steps, and concerns and issues.
- Parish and campus life
– Develops relationships with parishioners and students through actions such as attendance at parish and student events, weekend Mass, and monthly Focus Night.
– Assists in on-campus presence of kiosking, tabling and advertising
– Is staff liaison to the Peace and Social Justice Committee
– Participates in staff meetings Qualifications:
- Education – Bachelor’s degree in theology; Master’s degree preferred
- Experience – Related ministry experiences desired, particularly peace and social justice activities and work with high school and college age students.
Other Desired Requirements:
- Ability and experience in developing relationships with adults and young adults of diverse ages, cultures, and backgrounds.
- Support the teachings of the Catholic Church – especially those about social justice, as well as the unique history of Christ Church/Newman Center (see below) and the philosophy of Saint John Henry Newman
- Education and experience with contemporary theology, adult education, spirituality and formation.
- Demonstrated skills in interpersonal relationships and working collaboratively
- Mentoring skills desirable
- Ability to work within the pastoral team and parish council framework
Christ Church Newman Center is an intentional community rooted in the transformative spirit of Vatican II.
The community’s primary mission is to serve Catholic students, faculty, and staff from St. Cloud State
University and St. Cloud Technical and Community College as well as individuals and families from the
St. Cloud area who have chosen Christ Church as their personal parish. The permanent and student members of the parish work together to welcome the diversity present in the community and on the campuses. We are eager to grow in faith and in service of one another. The permanent membership is committed to serving the student population. The parish is located on the edge of the St. Cloud State
University campus and overlooks the Mississippi River. The City of St. Cloud (area pop.100, 000 plus) is located in central Minnesota approximately 65 miles Northwest of Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN.
To Apply: Please send cover letter, resume, and three references to Joan Spring: email@example.com