Things to do Before “I do”
As Soon As You Are Engaged (at least six months before wedding)
- Make an appointment with your parish priest or deacon and set a tentative wedding date.
- Ask for parish guidelines and diocesan policy for review before first meeting.
Within two weeks of your engagement
- Meet with the priest or deacon to complete prenuptial investigation.
- Review parish guidelines and diocesan policy.
- Take the Fully Engaged inventory.
- Arrange for the Solemnization of Engagement ceremony.
At least three to six months before your wedding
- Attend a marriage preparation course.
- Meet with priest, deacon, or sponsor couple to discuss the Fully Engaged inventory (approximately four to five meetings).
- Supply celebrant with a current copy of baptismal certificate if marrying outside the parish of your baptism.
Three months to six weeks before your wedding
- Prayerfully select Scripture readings, petitions, and music.
Forty-five days to one month before your wedding
- Meet with priest, deacon, or parish staff to discuss details of wedding celebration.
Either a few days prior to your wedding or after your rehearsal
- Participate in the Sacrament of Reconciliation (for Catholic parties).