Sponsor Couple is a couple-to-couple ministry in which married couples mentor engaged couples to help them prepare for a Christian marriage.
Suggested Qualities of a Sponsor Couple
- Believe in marriage as a permanent and faithful commitment
- Believe God and church are necessary to a successful relationship
- Are generous, warm and nonjudgmental
- Are realistic and hopeful regarding the day-to-day living of marriage
- Are open-minded and can share their own lived witness of the sacrament
- Have the ability to listen well, reflect back and encourage participation without threatening
- Can be witnesses and companions with the engaged couples in their continued search for a fulfilling and successful marriage
- Have been married for at least three years, are following the teachings of the Catholic church, and support the diocesan guidelines in preparing couples for marriage
- Endorse and support the teachings of the church such as birth control, premarital sex, cohabitation, etc
- Understand the principle of confidentiality
A comprehensive five-hour session using different learning modes of group interaction, discussion, lecture and role playing. Topics covered include:
- The Catholic Perspective on Marriage as a Sacrament
- Overview of the Marriage Preparation process
- Role of the Sponsor Couple
- Using the premarital inventory tool “Fully Engaged”
- Special Areas of Concern (i.e. cohabitation, premarital sex, contraception, interfaith, finances, etc.)
Cost and Registration
Training sessions can be scheduled on a parish, deanery or regional basis. The cost is $125 per couple and includes the Fully Engaged Facilitator’s Guide, materials from the Office of Marriage & Family and training expenses.
Register couples at this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SCTraining2023 or contact Jan Zylla at email@example.com or call (320) 258-7615 with names, address, phone numbers and emails of the couple attending at least two weeks before the scheduled sponsor couple training session.
Note: If training is given in a parish setting, a mileage fee is added.
Contact Patrick Flynn at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange additional training sessions.
|Saturday, April 22, 2023||9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.||Pastoral Center, St Cloud|
|Saturday, September 30, 2023||9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.||Pastoral Center, St Cloud|