The person who sexually abuses and exploits can be just about anyone – a father or mother; a sister or brother; an aunt or uncle, a teacher; a coach; a priest, minister, rabbi or clergy person; a neighbor; a friend; a stranger – sexual abusers can usually be identified only by the individual they abuse. Often times the victim is the only person who knows.

Whoever they are, no matter how rich or powerful, well-known or well-liked, if they sexually abuse or exploit you, they are committing a crime. If someone has sexually abused you or exploited you, and you feel that the time is right to come forward, there are professionals you can talk to about your experience. They can assist you in getting the help you need.

You do not have to face your abuser. You don’t have to give any information you are not comfortable disclosing. It does not matter how long ago the abuse was. Assistance is available to you.

Who to Call to Report Suspected Abuse

Diocesan Victim Assistance Coordinator:

Roxann Storms, MSW, LICSW, FT
(320) 248-1563 (Confidential Line)

Diocesan Victim Advocates:

Jane Blee: St. Cloud (320) 251-3430
Tom Klecker: St. Joseph (320) 253-2866
Peggy Rezac: Fergus Falls (218) 731-5528
Rev. Stanley Wieser: Wheaton (español) (320) 815-9696
Jennifer Wirz: Central MN (320) 339-0622

The National Hotline for Child Abuse: 1-800-422-4453

If you believe there is immediate danger, call your local Law Enforcement Agency at “911”

Benton County Human Services
(320) 968-5087

Douglas County Social Services
(320) 762-2302

Grant County Social Services
(218) 685-8200

Isanti County Family Services
(763) 689-1711

Kanabec County Family Services
(320) 679-6350

Mille Lacs County Community and Veteran’s Services
(320) 983-8208

Morrison County Social Services
(320) 632-2951
(800) 269-1464

Otter Tail County Social Services
(218) 998-8150

Pope County Family Services
(320) 634-7755

Sherburne County Social Services
(763) 765-4000
(800) 433-5239

Stearns County Human Services
(320) 656-6000
(800) 450-3663

Stevens County Human Services
(320) 208-6600

Todd County Social Services
(320) 732-4500

Traverse County Social Services
(320) 422-7777

Wadena County Social Services
(218) 631-7605

Wilkin County Family Services
(218) 643-8013

What to Do When Someone Reports Abuse

What to do when someone reports abuse:

– Keep calm
– Be supportive
– Listen non-judgmentally
– Report to appropriate authorities
– Seek medical attention, if appropriate

What not to do when someone reports abuse:

– Do not overwhelm the person
– Do not press for details
– Do not make any promises that you are not sure you will be able to keep
– Do not confront the offender (leave this to the proper authorities).