History and Response
The Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People was established in 2002 to address the issue of sexual abuse of minors by Catholic clergy. The charter outlines procedures for dioceses to follow to ensure the safety of children and youth in the Catholic Church going forward.
The Diocese of Saint Cloud is committed to following the procedures outlined in the charter, which include promulgating a sexual misconduct policy, safe environment training, background checks of all adults working with children, youth and vulnerable adults, hiring a victim assistant coordinator, the creation of a diocesan review board and a prompt effective response to any allegations.
To read the entire document, visit: The Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People (PDF) USCCB
Information on Reporting Abuse can be found in these brochures:
Letter from Bishop Kettler
Read the Letter from Bishop Donald Kettler (PDF) promulgating our 2020-2021 Safe Environment efforts throughout the diocese.
Site Administrators Guide
Training and Background Checks of Adults
- Training and Background Checks are now synced, and will be renewed together every 5 years. This is done online at https://stcloud.cmgconnect.org.
- New staff and volunteers should ‘Register for a New Account.’ Those who have an account need to use it. If in doubt, or if you forgot your username or password, check with your site administrator.
Training of Students
There are two options for Grades K-6:
Grades K-3: “Into the Cloud” Netsmartz kids (Please note it is stated for Grades K-2 but, it could also be seen by Grade 3.)
Grades 4-6: “Smart Choice” lessons from the Barbara Sinatra Foundation. These will be on the diocesan website and the short video clip that goes with them.
Lesson Plan Grade 4 (PDF)
Lesson Plan Grade 5 (PDF)
Lesson Plan Grade 6 (PDF)
Grades K-5: (6) This would be an ideal tool to use if your programming is all done at home.
Parents are given a guide and there are worksheets for the children. Excellent material. Be sure if parents are working with their children you have them sign something to say that they did the training.
(Remember parents must sign a slip if they opt out. The declination slip is below in under Resources for Safe Environment.)
Lesson Plans Gr. 7-12 (PDF)
Resources for Safe Environment
- Resource Guide for Mandated Reporters of Child Maltreatment Concerns (PDF)
- Revised Sexual Misconduct Policy 2019 (PDF) Poliza de Etica Ministerial en Relacion a Inapropiada Conducta Sexual y Abuso Sexual (PDF)
- Standard of Ministerial Behavior and Boundaries 2019 (PDF) Ética Ministerial de Comportamiento y Límites MinisterialesCódigo de Conducta para todo el personal de la Iglesia (PDF)
- Declination Form for Parents (PDF)